Fr. Barron during his second day in Rome was quite busy. After gleaning lots of information from heavy-hitters, he provides some timely, important and surprising thoughts concerning the politics and potential length of the upcoming conclave.
- Two emerging parties: Curialists and Reformists
- Paring down the candidates: No emerging front-runners with a long list of candidates within each party
- Length of conclave: Due to no front-runner, expectations seem to indicate a longer conclave (In the last 100 years, longest has been five days)
- Atmosphere: Tension and less of a spiritual “uplift” than the last conclave
- Biggest surprise: Cardinal Dolan is the talk-of-the-town papabili hopeful among the hoi poloi and the media
Don’t take my word for it, listen to Fr. Barron himself.